TAKE ACTION!We need your help...
Take Action to Support Climate Equity and Communities Affected by the Thacker Pass lithium mine
Sign online letters that will be sent to the Department of the Interior Secretary Deb Haaland-
- Follow the link below to sign an action letter to support the local communities affected by Thacker Pass, such as the Fort McDermitt Paiute and Shoshone Tribe, Orovada, and Kings River Valley communities: https://plana.salsalabs.org/20210511thackerpass/index.html
- Follow the link below to sign an action letter to ban a “man camp” at Thacker Pass. Man camps have been known to increase violence and harm to Indigenous peoples, including contributing to the crisis of missing murdered indigenous women (MMIW). https://plana.salsalabs.org/mmiwgr2st/index.html
Support reform of the 1872 Mining Law
The incredibly outdated 1872 Mining Law legally makes mining the “highest and best use” of public lands in the United States. The law legally makes it difficult for frontline community voices to be respected and listened to in decisions around permitting mines.
Now there is a new push for extraction of “critical minerals”, potentially fast tracking already outdated mining laws. It is more important than ever to make sure our laws are refined to ensure that ecosystem and community well-being is prioritized! The Biden Administration has released a fact sheet addressing the “clean energy” transition. The administration has launched an interagency working group focused on reform of this archaic law. The administration released their guiding principles and here you can view Earthworks suggested reform. You can voice your support for reforming the 1872 mining law by
- Calling your representative NOW!
- Submitting public comment to the Interagency Working Group on reform by 11:59 p.m. on July 31, 2022.
Find Contact information for your U.S Congressional Representative HERE:
Easily find your Nevada legislators here: https://nvlcb.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9c2cd4575624417fa56fd084a7ee4dd9
Promote Other Solutions
- Support Senate Bill S.3356 Battery and Critical Mineral Recycling Act 2020